It is hard to decide what are the best photo editing apps for iPhone and Android. On mobile phones, everyone is a photographer. People take more pictures than ever. How do you create good pictures that stand out from the crowd? Photo editing is how you add that extra detail and color that will make your photo pop.
How do you find the best way to edit your photos? There are thousands of apps to choose from. What are the benefits of using one app over another? Do you want one app that does many things or a wide array of apps that can add filters, lens flairs, and text?
In this article, we’ve got you covered in the details and purpose of the 10 best editing apps for Android and iPhone. You will be able to quickly decide what the app is best for and the special features.
Click Here to Learn How to Take Professional Pictures With Phone
Snapseed is one of the best photo editing apps for mobile users. With many professional editing features, it quickly became a hit. It was originally produced by Nik Software but was sold to Google in 2012. The tools help you create outstanding edits.
Try Snapseed when you quickly want to edit and save any image. Opt for quick editing by choosing filter settings or adjust any aspect of your photo with tools. With 29 tools, you can adjust color, white balance, lens blur and much more.
Snapseed Special Features:
- Healing brushes to remove unwanted objects like signs from a landscape
- Perspective- Fix slanted lines and adjust the geometry of horizons or buildings
- Save custom looks and apply them to new photos for faster editing
- Selectively choose specifics areas to edit brightness, contrast, and saturation in the image\
Best for: Enhancing photos with over 130+ beautiful original filters and presets
VSCO is a creative editing app and community for photographers to express themselves, VSCO stands for the Visual Supply Company. It is one of the most advanced and best editing apps with a photo-sharing platform. The editing app has a vast array of high-quality filters that you won’t see on Instagram. You can also use the VSCO feed to see photos posted by followers, discover new ideas and profiles.
VSCO Special Features:
- Create: Shoot then edit your photos and add stunning mobile presents. The presets include modern to film-inspired presets.
- Discover: See inspiring photos from people in the community. Learn from their expertise and experience.
- Connect: Includes a photography community with sharing and following elements.
Adobe Lightroom CC
Best for: Editing images to refine and tweak colors to make the photo pop
Lightroom CC is one of the best photo editing apps for professional photographers. Lightroom enables you to create stunning photos and edits seamlessly. Although, the desktop is very robust there are many advances edits you can do for free on your phone. If you like the app you can always choose to upgrade to the pro version with extra features.
Lightroom Special Features:
- Color Mixer: Adjust the individual color by hue, saturation, and luminance
- Presets: Adjust and create presets to make changes with a single touch and use on later edits
- Pro-Level camera: Shoot in raw and adjust manual mode with unique camera controls
Afterlight / Afterlight 2
Best for: Adding selective color features and adding dust and light overlays
Afterlight is one of the most downloaded mobile apps. It is best used to create filers, curves, and overlays and textures. Afterlight has beautiful and trendy textures and overlays. These filters add a natural texture and effects to your image with dust and light leaks. You can also create a color shift and double exposure.
Afterlight Special Features:
- Dust & Light Leaks: Add a vintage or a natural touch to your image by adding these textures.
- Personalized Filters: Design your own filters to fit your style an unique look.
- Advanced tools: Selectively edit the hue, saturation, and lightness in an image
Best for: Adding natural filters like rain or fog to images
This app has one main purpose and does it very well. That is to add natural filters to enhance photos. The natural sunlight and lens flares features create one of the best editing apps. Add atmospheric depth by with rain or fog. Experiment with filters to add subtle emotion with organic elements. Each high-quality filter will give you realistic detail to enhance your style.
Lens Distortions Special Features
- Filter Gallery: Choose from many filters and enjoy 5 filters from each pack for free.
- Frames: Add a natural vignette of clouds, rain, or fog
Best for: Creating photo collages, and adding text or clip art
PicsArt has over 100 million monthly active users and is a great app to edit and share photos. PicsArt’s is all about making photo editing fun by remixing photos into collages and memes. Try the drawing tools, add effects, text or stickers to any photo. The collage maker includes 100’s of free templates for grid style, and freestyle collages. PicsArt lets you style your grid with different templates, collages, or freestyle arrangements. collages or freestyle arrangements. Then share your photo with your friends on social media. Get and create custom stickers from others’ collections or create your own.
PicsArt Special Features
- Collage maker- Try one of the 100s of free templates to create a custom collage.
- Sticker Maker and Clipart- Experiment by creating and sharing your own custom stickers.
- Drawing- Doodle on any image with custom brushes and layers.
Prisma Photo Editor
Best for: Transforming your photos into a painted look and feel. Choose your favorite style.
Prisma Photo Editor is one of the top editing apps on Android and IOS. It is Google’s Editor’s choice apps for enhancing creativity and expression. Use your photo to add filters that look like it is a painting by Picasso. You can choose from many artistic styles in the art library. Prima has the largest collection of artistic styles compared to other apps. They add new art filters daily.
Prisma Special Features
- Artistic Styles: Try over 300 art styles with the largest collection of art styles to choose from.
- Creator’s community: Join the community to share your art. Find beautiful pictures created by other artists.
- New filters daily: See what new editing options there are with new art filters added daily.
Adobe Photoshop Express
Best for: Adding text with a variety of fonts, colors, and transparency
Photoshop Express has fast and seamless editing options. The #1 user requested feature is to play with text. This app gives you flexibility and control over text and much more. You can quickly add a border, color, and zoom. Try the ready-to-use options like background, gradients, and layouts for faster editing.
Photoshop Special Features
- Artistic collages: Choose from beautiful layouts with a single tap
- Color Pop Tool: Select a color to pop out on all your images to create cohesiveness and connection.
- Perspective Correction: Fixed skewed photos with a simple tap
Best for: Taking and editing pictures of food at home or out and about
The Foodie Camera app is vital if you enjoy gourmet food and want to share the experience with your friends. Create the perfect memory of each mouth-watering bite on your phone. Choose from over 30 filters that are specifically created to enhance the image of food. Test out the view of each filter with the live filters.
Foodie Special features
- Food Enhancing Filters: Choose from 30 filters including picnic, fresh, BBQ, and crispy
- Smart Guide: Shoot top-down photos with an accurate smart guide.
Best for: Getting rid of unwanted telephone wires or poles, pimples or skin blemishes
Cut signs, lines, or people from your image with Touch Retouch. This app is the best app in the industry for removing objects from photos. Choose from a brush or lasso, or use the single-touch line removal. Quickly remove small imperfections by tapping on them to take them away.
TouchRetouch Special Features
- One-Touch Fix- remove the unwanted objects by touching them to remove the blemish.
- Line Remover- Remover objects by choosing the thin, medium or thick segment remover.
- Retouching- Try the clone stamp tool to duplicate areas and fix problems on your image.
Final Tips: Choosing the Best Photo Editing Apps
Now you have learned about the 10 best photo editing apps and their uses. How do you choose the best apps? If you want one app that is very versatile the all-around best photo editing app is Snapseed.This is because of it’s advanced features and use.
If you want to adjust the color Adobe Lightroom CC and Afterlight/Afterlight 2 are excellent options. To add lens flairs and natural elements to your photo try Lens Distortions. When objects like telephone poles mess up your landscape try TouchRetouch to remove objects. If you enjoy eating out around town use the foodie app to take delicious photos of food. These editing apps will help you create the best photos that you can share on Instagram. Try these apps and let us know in the comments what is your favorite and why.